My Etsy shop

Saturday 4 February 2012

A few sycamore forms

Hello folks

I was recently asked to make a few sycamore forms- I hadn't worked with sycamore before, I suppose I'd always thought of it as being a bit bland.

I visited my local tree surgeons yard and picked up just shy of 1/2 a tonne of freshly felled wood- this timber was felled as part of a forestry management- thinning, removal of dead or dangerous trees etc. If i hadn't of bought the timber it will be used for firewood.


here are just a few of the forms i have made with it


6" wide by 9" tall

6" wide by 9 1/2" tall

6" wide by 9 3/8" tall

6 1/2"wide by 11"tall

4 1/2"wide by 4" tall

4 comments:

  1. George, that timber looks so lovely and clean, isn't there any 'profit/business' in the tree surgeon turning that wood into 'usable' timber? I'm not sure what the difference in cost it is between processing for firewood and processing for timber. It just seems a shame to loose 'good' wood.

    Anyway, lovely work. The last one is my fave. Starting to miss turning looking at these.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom- he has a small mobile sawmill and planks some of the oaks and ash for boards but I’ve never seen him do any sycamore- he's always so busy maybe it’s because it discolours by the time he gets chance or maybe the firewood is more profitable due to amount of labour etc I’ll have to ask him next time I see him.
    I’ve enjoyed working with it so I will be putting more to good use soon.
    best wish's
    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great forms George.Its a shame to think of all the beautiful wood that has been turned into firewood, but then I suppose the cost of storing and drying etc. makes it costly for the tree surgeon.
    Anyway, if you get hold of at least some of it, and turn it into pieces like these, then all is not lost.
    Regards Frans

    ReplyDelete