My Etsy shop

Friday 15 March 2013

up to date...

hello folks
Its been a funny few weeks, the majority of time has been spent working on improvements to my website, casting blanks for orders and for stock and working on some new prototype blanks which I hope to show you soon.
The last few days I have been working on a  new series of wooden objects which I'm very pleased with and will show you once there finished.
But for now here are some pics of some of the things I've been up to






















3 comments:

  1. George, I'm fascinated by the way you've gut the blanks out of the logs. The first 4 make sense to me, they are spindle cut.

    But the last group of pictures shows you taking out tall 'vase' blanks as a cross grain (bowl) cut.

    I can see that this will put the heart pattern at the top or bottom but how does it affect the working strength? Surely thin walls with a cross grain are very weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bryan- thank your comments, all of the blanks were cut end grain like big spindle blanks (avoiding the pith)
    you can cut side grain if the logs big enough- it doesnt affect the strength in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, Thanks for that.

    The picture of the second log has the drawn rectangles shown as it you were going to cut them width-ways, probably where my confusion come from.

    ReplyDelete